Saturday, December 15, 2012

Innocent Obsessions

I've been consumed lately with looking for ideas for toddler birthday parties. It started when a blog I followed posted dreamy Instagrammed images of her 2 year old's birthday party. I started browsing Instagram, Pinterest,, and blogs, daydreaming and planning, deconstructing, reconstructing, and generally being excited for plans of the future.

Today I asked Matt if he thought having an outdoor birthday party for Lorelai's first birthday sounded fun, and tried to start a conversation for ideas to have it. The park, perhaps, or the local playground? Rather than play along, he scoffed. "That's a long ways off. And looking back, my parents never really planned anything big. They got a cake, got together some friends, and I was happy."

What a buzzkill.

But I don't think there's any harm in dreaming and thinking on things like this, especially considering that a year ago I honestly didn't believe that Matt and I would have a biological family that was more than just the two of us. I never thought I could have this, the rolling and push in my stomach of a baby stretching and moving as she grows, or a reason to wonder what we would do for a first birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment