Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Diabetes and the common cold

So because of this dumb cold, my blood sugar has been high. I eat normal amounts of carbs, and yesterday my sugar was high. I did well at lunch, which I had been worried about because I had spiced apples and country fried steak and zero idea how many carbs that was. But two hours later, my sugar was 110, under the 120 my doctor wants to see. I took my sugar again before dinner, and it had popped up to 135. Fan-freaking-tastic. I took my insulin and ate dinner, which consisted of a sandwich. Three hours later I realized I needed to take my after dinner sugar. Even with the extra hour post meal, it was 185. Gaaaah. Matt pointed out that I can't not eat, and higher blood sugar when sick is normal. But it's still upsetting after all my hard work to keep my sugar in check. So I think that I need to call the doctor's office today and ask what's safe for me to take for a cold so I can get over this bullshit more quickly and go back to being normal (for me).

Also, Monday I have my intake appointment with the therapist. Being on Prozac has given me some relief from my irrational thoughts and anxiety, but I worry that it's just a chemical relief. I've dealt with feelings of depression since I was very young and I have a formal diagnosis of severe clinical depression. I just feel like if I were to come off of the Prozac, even after birth when my hormones have calmed down, that I would still be struggling. I'm worried about post-partum depression, too. So I think that seeing a therapist and hopefully confronting and gaining other coping mechanisms for my problems and anxieties will be more helpful than just continuing to medicate and leaving it at that.

Yesterday when Matt's mom called, she asked him when my next doctor's appointment is, which is on the 9th. Matt told her I was seeing the therapist for the first time on the 8th. I just stared him down, and he saw and quickly assured her that it was a routine thing, and changed the subject. We need to talk about what is okay and what is not okay for him to tell about my medical care and plans. I just don't want to talk about having to see a therapist with his parents because it's awkward and I feel like it's an invitation for questioning that I don't particularly have a desire to answer. I'd like to keep my mental health issues private between he, my doctors, and myself. And I guess the internet too.

No comments:

Post a Comment