Saturday, January 5, 2013

The right time, the right place

We've been reasonably busy since Wednesday. I've started packing up. For the last five months we've been renting a bedroom in Richmond, following our exodus from Chickahominy Bluff. Yesterday while we were running errands in Mechanicsville, we swung by the apartment complex and paid our first month's rent on our townhome, and were creepers and went and peeked in the patio door to see what work had been done. They'd just finished cleaning the carpets, and everything was bare and white, waiting for us to move in except for the glass marker math and shapes that the previous family had left on the patio door. A little Windex will clear that right up.

It's Saturday today, and we don't move until Tuesday but if I can have everything except what we absolutely need packed up today, tomorrow I can relax and work on homework, Monday do the last few errands (like pick up our installation kit for the modem from the cable office) and get to sleep early, and we'll be set for Tuesday. My car has been giving us trouble so I'm hoping that Tuesday morning it feels like starting up so we can both drive to the complex together and take double the junk beloved possessions. Since we'll be taking the fish and the rat on that first trip, having the extra space is kind of necessary. However, if my car does decide it wants to sleep in, it's not the end of the world because now we won't have to wait for a cable guy to show up.

I'll be putting together our TV stand and the nursery furniture while I make a lasagna for lunch for Matt, Dustin, Hannah, and his dad as well as anyone else who decides to help us move. While I unpack boxes and bags, I'll direct the menfolk on where furniture should go. I feel vaguely guilty about my (perceived) passive role in the moving process but just packing the room has reminded me why we decided on this. Sometimes I need a wake up call that I'm 7 months pregnant.

I'm having to take a lot of breaks while packing, especially when I do a lot of bending over to pull and pack things from off the floor and under things. Thursday I managed to overdo it, which my body let me know by giving me Braxton Hicks contractions that lasted most of the day even after I found a stopping point in my progress and put my feet up to rest and hydrate.

Hopefully on Tuesday I'll be at least able to get enough done to satisfy myself before I need to stop for the day. I've been in nesting mode without much of an outlet for it for so long that I just want to crash headlong into the townhouse with getting everything ready. Ha ha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment