Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What's the factory warranty?

Can I trade my body in? I'm still struggling with blood sugar, with no apparent reason. I took the NPH last night and my fasting sugars were better this morning, but I also upped my morning insulin dosage by 2 units as well and just had a sandwich for breakfast. I half expected to be close to low when I went to take my post-meal sugar but nope. High, and too high at that. 161. This is completely unacceptable, and beyond frustrating. I don't understand why it's just been this week that my blood sugar has gone completely haywire when it's been fairly reasonable thusfar. Yes, I've been experiencing a higher need for insulin in the 3rd trimester, but it was still reacting as expected. Now, it feels like nothing is working to keep myself on track. I'm depressed, and tomorrow I have an appointment with the high risk clinic.

While I want to talk about this with a doctor, I wish it was a Centering appointment where I would actually be able to talk to a MFM. I hated going to the high risk clinic before Centering started up because I always talked to a different resident doctor, I felt like I wasn't listened to, and it was overall a miserable experience. Centering has been such a breath of fresh air because I actually get to talk to the MFMs or at least Dr. Hill who I believe is a resident but she comes pretty consistently. The consistency has been nice because when I refer to experiences earlier in the pregnancy, they actually know what I'm talking about and are familiar with me. There's also the apprehension involved with the 6th floor clinic because it was there that when I expressed before the holidays that I felt the Prozac wasn't being as effective as I would like that one of the resident doctors asked me, "Can't you find some other way to be happy?" Even though it will only be for one appointment, I really don't want to go back.

I feel defensive about my blood sugars because I'm fighting and doing everything I can to try and control them and they just aren't making sense to me. Possibly because of it, I'm having a lot of problems managing depressive feelings this week. Every high blood sugar is a hit to my self esteem, and every meal is cause for anxiety. I just want my body to work in a way in which I feel I might have at least some modicum of control. Is that too much to ask? I'm tired of fighting like hell and still feeling completely useless at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment